We love our volunteers! We are excited to announce that our valued volunteers are back in the shelter. To learn more about our volunteer opportunities, please visit our new volunteer website today. Thank you!
Take a Tour
We would love to show you our beautiful new space! Tours are set for Wednesday afternoons at 4:00. Sign up for a tour today and come see all of the wonderful changes that have been happening here at HFF!
Contactless Volunteer Opportunity: Drivers Needed
We are occasionally in need of volunteers to pick up donated items from local businesses and bring them back to our shelter. This would be a door-to-door, COVID-safe process. Please contact Julie@housingFamiliesFirst.org to be added to our volunteer driver list. Thank you!
Evening Supper Program
The evening supper program is back in action! Sign up here to bring dinner to the families in our shelter program. At this time, we are gratefully accepting both drop-off dinners and stay-and-serve dinners. Thank you!
Snack Bags: An At-Home Volunteer Project
We invite you to participate in this meaningful at-home or at-office volunteer project: Welcome Snack Bags! The details are shown in the printable instruction page above. Snacks make everything a little bit better!
Donate Gift Cards to Families Moving to Permanent Housing
Amazon/Target/Walmart/Visa: Helpful with moving expenses
Grocery Store: Helpful to stock fridges and pantries
Gas Cards: Helpful for transportation support for rental viewings, application submissions, and employment
Concerned About Someone Sleeping Outdoors?
Are you concerned about someone sleeping outdoors? Outreach and support services are available for people living on the streets and in other public places. Complete this notification of an individual or family sleeping outdoors form to help. Please note that this survey is not conducted by Housing Families First, but by a collaborative team of local service organizations.
Donate Securities to HFF
Donations of stocks, bonds, and other securities are greatly appreciated.
Your gift provides a family with a path to permanent housing, emotional support, and a connection to the skills and community resources they need to remain in their home long-term. It also provides temporary shelter and short-term financial assistance, when needed. Please consider making an online gift today. The process is secure and easy, and your gift makes an immediate impact on our budget and services.
Introducing HFF’s Monthly Giving Community: The Hearth
Join our community of monthly donors dedicated to ending the homelessness of the families we serve. The Hearth is a passionate and determined group of monthly givers on a mission to support families experiencing homelessness in the Richmond area.
- Merry Christmas
- Happy Hanukkah
- In Celebration of Your Marriage Certificate
- Happy Birthday Certificate
- In Loving Memory Certificate
- Gift In Honor of You
- Gift In Honor of You on Mother’s Day
- Gift In Honor of You on Father’s Day
**Donations may be dropped off Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm or by appointment.**
**Please bring your donated items in containers you are willing to leave here at HFF. Thank you!**
We are gratefully accepting limited gently used donations and new donations from our needs list. (Please see our Donation Guide for details.) We also enthusiastically welcome donations from our Amazon Wish List and Target Registry. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about donation deliveries. Thank you!
Other Donation Resources
We are always thankful for your support! Please see our Donation Guide for a list of items HFF is able to accept. If we are unable to accept your in-kind donation, we hope that you will consider donating to one of our local partners. Thank you!
- findhelp.org (check here for helpful resources in your zip code and donate to the appropriate site that is closest to you)
- Mercy Mall, located in N. Chesterfield (clothing, housewares, baby items) *Items go directly to people in need and are not resold.*
- Caritas, located in Richmond City (furniture, housewares) *May pick up furniture; Items go directly to people in need and are not resold.*
- Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity, multiple locations (furniture and appliances)
- Goodwill, multiple locations (clothing and household items)
- The Thrifty Quaker, located in Midlothian (clothing and household items)
- Goochland Cares, located in Goochland (clothing and household items) *Items go directly to people in need and are not resold.*
- Little Hands, located in N. Chesterfield (baby and nursing items) *Items go directly to people in need and are not resold.*
- Diversity Thrift, located in N. Chesterfield (clothing, furniture, housewares) *May pick up furniture donations*
- Caring Closet, formerly the Caring Clothes Closet, located in the far West End (clothing) *Items go directly to people in need and are not resold.*
- Good Shepherd Baptist Church Clothes Closet, located in Richmond City (clothing) *Items go directly to people in need and are not resold.*