We love our volunteers! Please use these links to sign up to volunteer as individuals or groups of up to ten. If you have questions about our volunteer opportunities, contact Terri Iguina, Director of Operations and Volunteer Engagement, at email@example.com or 804-236-5800, x124.
* With updated CDC guidance, we have had to make the difficult decision to again temporarily pause in-person volunteering here at the shelter. We hope to be able to have our valued volunteers back in the shelter soon, and will update this page accordingly. Thank you for your continued support!
Take a Tour
Would you like to tour our shelter to learn more about Housing Families First and the mission and vision we hold so dear? Please contact Victoria@housingfamiliesfirst.org to schedule your personal tour of Hilliard House Shelter.
* With updated CDC guidance, we have once again made the difficult decision to pause in-person tours of our shelter. We are hoping that we will be able to welcome visitors again very soon, and we will update this page accordingly.
Hosting a Fundraising Event for Housing Families First
We are thrilled that you have chosen to support us by hosting a fundraiser for Housing Families First. In addition to providing ever-important funding for our housing programs, your fundraiser can:
- Raise awareness about family homelessness
- Support the overall mission of Housing Families First
- Celebrate an HFF employee or volunteer you know
Email Julie@housingfamiliesfirst with questions or to have your fundraiser approved! Thank you for your support. We couldn’t do this without our village.
Download our fundraising resource guide here.
Do-It-Yourself Volunteer Opportunity: Welcome Snack Bags
Here’s a meaningful volunteer project that can be done at your facility or home! Housing Families First welcomes our clients with decorated snack bags. Below are directions on how you can create these bags for new residents.
Items Needed: Brown or white paper lunch bags (or gallon ziplock bags), art supplies, a drink, and individually packaged snacks.
Directions: Volunteers decorate the outside of bags with messages of hope or drawings. Then volunteers fill the bags with a drink and snacks. We expect to welcome 500 children and adults into our programs this year and would love to give each of them a snack bag!
Here’s a flyer to share with your friends, family, and fellow volunteers.
Your gift provides a family with a path to permanent housing, emotional support, and a connection to the skills and community resources they need to remain in their home long-term. It also provides temporary shelter and short-term financial assistance, when needed. Please consider making an online gift today. The process is secure and easy, and your gift makes an immediate impact on our budget and services.
Looking for a meaningful gift for a friend, coworker, or loved one? We are now offering printable certificates for all gift-giving occasions!
- In Celebration of Your Marriage Certificate
- Happy Birthday Certificate
- In Loving Memory Certificate
- Gift In Honor of You
- Gift In Honor of You on Mother’s Day
- Gift In Honor of You on Father’s Day
**Donations may be dropped off Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm or by appointment.**
We are gratefully accepting limited gently used donations and new donations from our needs list. (Please see our Donation Guide for details.) We also enthusiastically welcome donations from our Amazon Wish List and Target Registry. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on donation deliveries. Thank you!
Other Donation Resources
We are always thankful for your support! Please see our Donation Guide for a list of items HFF can accept. If we are unable to accept your in-kind donation, please consider donating to one of our local partners. Thank you!
- The Salvation Army
- Richmond Metropolitan Habitat for Humanity
- The Thrifty Quaker
- Goochland Cares
- Little Hands (baby and nursing items)
Drop-Off Evening Supper Program
We are now gratefully accepting drop-off dinners for our families in shelter. Dinners should feed approximately 25 people and should come with easy to re-heat instructions. Please click this link for details and to sign up. Thank you for being a part of our village!